
Boy oh boy oh boy!!! Since I was a kid, I've loved Transformers with all my heart. Today, I still have the entire original first generation cartoon series on tape, along with the Japanese Masterforce and Victory series as well. I was one of the thousands of boys who, yes admittedly, cried when I watched Optimus Prime, my all-time hero, die in the original animated Transformers movie.
When I learnt that they were going to make a real-life Transformers movie, I said to myself, "no way...". Oh yes way alright! But when I found out that Michael Bay was directing the film, I thought, "ok, the guy did The Rock and I loved that movie". Most people, especially big fans of Transformers hated the choice made by Steven Spielberg, to hand the helm to Michael Bay. I too had a feeling he might screw the movie up, seeing that he didn't know nuts about Transformers or cared for it.
Leading up the movie, I was utterly disappointed with the first teaser trailer released. I was wondering, "what's up with this whole stupid Mars thing and a glimpse of an ugly robot that looked more like a skeletal alien than a Transformer?!". However, when I saw the extended trailer, and saw some pics online, I was hopeful, as it began to look impressive.
Still, I wasn't please that some of the characters (the Decepticons at least), were brand new to me, and the robots didn't take their G1 cartoon forms. (Although I understand Michael Bay's reasoning for giving them new looks).
All that negativity didn't stop me from the anxiousness and anticipation of the 5 year old in me leading up to tonight when I watched the movie. I was absolutely blown away! I mean, damn!! The movie was super! Absolutely stunning visuals! It's 2 hours and 23 minutes of non-stop action and mayhem. Lots of old-school original G1 Transformers elements were thrown in, thankfully. I managed to spot quite a few.
I came away a fully satisfied fan, and like many across the world, "sorry Michael Bay, you did a great job with the film after all. We still may not like you all that much, but good job and I hope that after this movie is super well received (and it will be!), we can look forward to a Transformers Movie 2, because it was quite obvious there was room for it!"
4 comments:
My friend, Nathan, who's an art-teacher, artsy-guy like yourself, is boy-cotting Transformers because he said that they replaced the Bumblebee with Camaro. Personally, I am excited as can be! Woo-hoo!
Personally I was unhappy with the decision to remake those old characters into new vehicles, but after reading Michael Bay's interview about his reasons behind doing that, I sort of agree with him.
It's like Star Wars, where Lucas had to make certain things for this time and age, and not just stick to the elements that worked in the 80s. Gotta move with the times I guess.
Transformers....More than meets the eyessssss!!
I was super skeptical about paying Ausd 17 (plus munchies) to watch the movie but after reading your blog, I think I'm going to put it in my agenda this weekend.
And trust you to like, not blog for eons and then your first after the grave is on Transformers!!! Geek....
Hahaha!! ROBOTS IN DISGUISSEeEeeee..
Don't be skeptical my dear friend, it's worth every cent! I am truly a geek, have you known me otherwise ever? ;)
Come home Tersh!!! *campaign going on*
Post a Comment